Peak design and industry body the Australian Design Council was re-established today with the support of high profile business men and women.
The re-established Australian Design Council brings together the nation’s top captains of industry, innovators, entrepreneurs and thinkers to reshape the nation post-COVID-19.
Championing design to reinvent and kickstart Australia’s economy in a post-COVID-19 environment will be at the epicentre of the Council.
The Australian Design Council initially established in 1958 as the Industrial Design Council of Australia and was based on the UK Design Council model, established by Winston Churchill’s wartime government in 1944.
Industrialist and Chairman of BHP, Essington Lewis served as the inaugural Chair following his successful role as head of defence industry during world war 2.
Australian Design Council executive chair Dr Sam Bucolo said design-led thinking had the power to transform an industry and accelerate the creation of new businesses whose products and services drive growth and sustained competitive advantage.
“After 60 years, we have decided to re-establish the Australian Design Council to address the challenges we are facing today. Design must play a major role in rebuilding our economy post-COVID-19 and the Council will shape how we create new and emerging areas for a strong competitive advantage through design.
“Our global counterparts are already doing this and now is the right time for Australia to accelerate the adoption of design in business.”
The Australian Design Council will serve as a national organisation and have three vital roles:
- Advocate to government and industry about the role and value of design
- Embed design into Australia’s nation-building agenda and policy settings
- And provide oversight to leverage Australia’s design capability into the nation’s future industry development.
Council Member, David Thodey AO believes the Australian Design Council will inspire Australian business leaders to engage Australia’s world class design community to innovate, disrupt and compete in global markets. Great design makes innovation come to life.
“The Council’s aim will be to help the nation move forward through greater collaboration to foster real innovation. Embedding great design in production and as a core problem-solving tool – both being important drivers for our economic growth and competitiveness.”
The Australian Design Council (Pictured above L to R) consists of:
- Simonne Bailey, Global Head of Strategy and Managing Director of GFG Alliance’s property and funds management business, JAHAMA
- Dr Stephanie Fahey, former CEO of the Australian Trade and Investment Commission –Austrade
- Peter Freedman AM, Founder and Chairman of RØDE Microphones
- Professor Roy Green, Emeritus Professor and Chair of the Innovation Council and former Dean of the UTS Business School
- Andrew N. Liveris AO, Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Dow Chemical Company
- Catherine Livingstone AO, Chair of the Commonwealth Bank
- Edwina McCann, Editorial Director at Vogue and Chair of The Australian Ballet Foundation Board
- Giam Swiegers, Non-Executive Director for Aurecon and former CEO of Deloitte Australia
- And David Thodey AO, former CEO of Telstra and current Chair of CSIRO.
Picture: Australian Design Council
Subscribe to our free @AuManufacturing newsletter here.