Saab releases Australian designed and made console

Saab Australia has drawn on its experience developing the Saab Combat Management System for the Royal Australian Navy and SME partners to design, and manufacture a new version of its Multi Function Console (MFC, pictured).

Aimed at domestic and export markets, the MFC is billed as the keystone hardware solution enabling the operation and management of complex systems.

According to Saab: “Together with a logical human-computer interaction concept, the MFC is not only suitable in a naval platform environment, but for all types of defence and commercial applications.

“Uniquely modular, the consoles five modules can be individually modified or changed to allow full customisation to meet any specific requirement, making it incredibly versatile.”

The company said a design cost effective for exports had been achieved through partnerships which included specialist engineering services by Applidyne, and Human Factors and Ergonomic studies by The University of South Australia and Defence Science Technology Group.

The MFC is 100 per cent Australian designed and manufactured, with 60 per cent Australian industry partner content and the remaining 40 per cent representing Saab’s design and personnel expertise in Australia.

“As a sovereign defence industry company and trusted partner of the Australian Defence Force – Saab continues to grow and create jobs for Australians, develop sovereign industrial capability and deliver advanced technology and systems to ensure the capability of Australian defence.”

Saab has been investing in its Australian arm which has a long relationship producing combat management systems including for the Hunter class frigates now under construction.

The new generation MFC is now being manufactured in South Australia by Adelaide’s SAGE Automation.

Picture: Saab Australia

Subscribe to our free @AuManufacturing newsletter here.

Share this Story

Stay Informed

Go to Top