Funding of $74 million to support eight new Research Hubs and eight new Training Centres has been announced under the federal Industrial Transformation Research Program (ITRP).
Funding of $36.4 million for Research Hubs and $37.8 million for Training Centres would help create business and researcher connections and address strategic challenges at a national, regional and global level, said education minister Alan Tudge.
Australian Research Council (ARC) Acting CEO Kylie Emery said the new centres (see full list below) would, “address one or more of the Industrial Transformation Priority areas which include advanced manufacturing; cybersecurity; food and agribusiness; oil, gas and energy resources; mining equipment, technology and services; and medical technologies and pharmaceuticals.
“They will also equip our future generation of researchers by supporting Higher Degree by Research students and postdoctoral researchers in gaining practical skills and experience through industry placements.”
Subscribe to our free @AuManufacturing newsletter here.
Industrial Transformation Research Hubs:
- ARC Research Hub for Connected Sensors for Health, led by Professor Chun Wang at the University of New South Wales.
- ARC Industry Transformation Research Hub for Resilient and Intelligent Infrastructure Systems (RIIS) in Urban, Resources and Energy Sectors, led by Professor Nasser Khalili at the University of New South Wales.
- ARC Research Hub in Intelligent Robotic Systems for Real-Time Asset Management, led by Professor Ian Manchester at the University of Sydney.
- ARC Research Hub for Nutrients in a Circular Economy (NiCE), led by Professor Ho Kyong Shon at University of Technology Sydney.
- ARC Research Hub for Supercharging Tropical Aquaculture Through Genetic Solutions, led by Professor Dean Jerry at James Cook University.
- ARC Research Hub for Functional and Sustainable Fibres, led by Professor Joselito Razal at Deakin University.
- ARC Research Hub for Advanced Manufacturing with 2D Materials (AM2D), led by Professor Mainak Majumder at Monash University.
- ARC Research Hub for Digital Bioprocess Development, led by Professor Sally Gras at the University of Melbourne.
Industrial Transformation Training Centres:
- ARC Training Centre for Accelerated Future Crop Development, led by Professor Barry Pogson at the Australian National University.
- ARC Training Centre for Facilitated Advancement of Australia’s Bioactives (FAAB), led by Professor Alison Rodger at Macquarie University.
- ARC Training Centre in Energy Technologies for Future Grids, led by Professor Kashem Muttaqi at the University of Wollongong.
- ARC Training Centre for Behavioural Insights for Technology Adoption (BITA), led by Professor Uwe Dulleck at Queensland University of Technology.
- ARC Training Centre in Bioplastics and Biocomposites, led by Associate Professor Steven Pratt at the University of Queensland.
- ARC Training Centre for Optimal Ageing, led by Associate Professor Yen Ying Lim at Monash University.
- ARC Training Centre for Healing Country, led by Professor Stephen van Leeuwen at Curtin University.
- ARC Training Centre for Next-Gen Technologies in Biomedical Analysis, led by Professor Killugudi Swaminatha-Iyer at the University of Western Australia.